Monday, May 9, 2011

Lucky Mama

Yesterday I had a chilly, rainy and mellow, but very nice Mother's Day.
Keith got up with Luke, so I was able to stay in bed with Anna a little late. I wasn't exactly sleeping, as Luke kept coming into the room, slamming the door, jumping on the bed, and shouting "Mommy! Anna! Anna sleeping!"
And since he can now provide just enough unfiltered information to keep me aware of what's going on, his "Cakes! Cakes! Daddy... mess" let me know that Keith was making pancakes and possibly making a mess in the kitchen.
It's great having a child with whom you can have two-way communication. For instance, when I was ready to get up, I told Luke to let Keith know I wanted a latte. In response, Luke ran out to Keith and shouted "Daddy! La-tee...Mommy...La-tee!" And then I could follow the progress as Luke shouted "Coffee!...Soogar!...STEAM MILK! STEAM MILK!"
The weather was cool and rainy, so aside from a walk to the playground, we didn't spend much time outside. And I was feeling tired, so I mostly just hung out with the kids around the house while Keith reminded me that I wasn't fully taking advantage of My Day. I asked for a re-do next weekend, but he said there are no rain checks :-)
Later, we went out for an early dinner at a restaurant we really like. When we visited a few weeks ago Luke behaved very well, so we were hopeful. But not even the iPad kept him in check this time. He was very antsy from the start--pulling at framed art on the walls, scampering around on the booth seat, and being loud. You know, typical stuff for him. He also kept trying to climb onto a window sill and, for some reason, was saying "Luke Duffy! Luke Duffy!" with great enthusiasm. Keith and I were like, come on - do you have to say your last name? But he calmed down by the time we finished our entrees, just long enough for us to think there was time for dessert...which there was, just barely.

Here are my three Mother's Day gifts... two came wrapped in diapers; the third came in a little blue box:
So, yesterday I felt very blessed to have two healthy children and an appreciative husband. In addition to having a wonderful Mother and equally wonderful Mother-in-Law. Lucky me!

No comments:

Post a Comment