Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Check Ups

Today Luke had his 2-year check up with the pediatrician, while Anna had her 2-month one.
They both needed a few immunization shots, which was painful for all, but Luke actually seemed more bothered by the doctor looking in his ears and eyes.
Luke is now 27 lbs (43rd percentile) and he's in the 29th percentile for height.
Anna is 10 lbs 8 oz (30th percentile) and in the 58th percentile for height.

The doctor gave me a sheet with some general info about healthy 2-year olds and I noticed that the second paragraph said "it is very important for your child to be completely off the bottle." Oops. Though he can drink from a glass, Luke is definitely not "completely off the bottle." But in our defense, when you see a tantrum-throwing or otherwise grumpy toddler completely silenced and calmed--every time--by a bottle of milk, it's hard to let go of that crutch.

So, it was timely that today Pilar informed me that it should be the day that Luke gives up his beloved "bobble."
She put him up for nap with milk in a sippy cup and I listened anxiously as he screamed "bobble...bobble...bobble" for 20 minutes while she read him some stories and waited for him to drift off.
I went out to do some errands and was thinking about whether Keith and I would have the discipline to keep it up. When I arrived back home, Pilar had washed and bagged up all of the bottles. "Where should I put these away?" she asked. Well, I guess now we have to do some parenting and keep up the new no bottle policy. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes before Luke accepts it.
Thank goodness for Pilar's determination...I can't say when we would have taken the leap!


No comments:

Post a Comment