Keith and I have (as adults) not ever been into Halloween. Which means that we really don't like coming up with or dressing in costumes... but if you invite us to a party we'll have a good time anyway. You don't want to be a downer party guest, afterall.
But now that we have a child in the social scene (i.e. preschool, playdates, etc) we realized that we had better get with the Halloween spirit or else our kids will suffer! Therefore, I figured out a costume that my totally hat/headpiece/mask/anything constricting two-year old could wear, and had to dress him in said costume five times for various events since last Thursday!
So, Luke was a Utah football player (obviously without a helmet, but with pads, compliments of those big maxi pads you get in the hospital after having a baby. I was just about to throw those suckers out, when I realized they'd make perfect Halloween props!)
And Anna B. was a lobster (Maine, of course).
For the actual Halloween trick or treating tonight it was high 50s/maybe even 60 and clear. Apparently the warmest/nicest Halloween in YEARS. I don't mean to rub it in for our Nor'easter ravaged friends and family in New England, who may still be without power...but it was a gorgeous late fall day here :) That's why we stayed out for an extra long time walking the neighborhood with some friends. The kids had a grand time, while the parents enjoyed some wine in plastic cups for the outing. As we speak, Luke is just coming down from the highest sugar high he's ever experienced. It's rough. And some how I don't think that "I told you you'd feel like crap if you ate all that candy" will compute with him.
So anyway, for a couple of parents who could give or take Halloween, seeing how much kids LOVE it, I think we're takers now. And I suspect it will only become more important to Luke and, soon enough, to Anna. So, I need to not only suck it up an get interested in Halloween costumes, but actually plan ahead for some good ones. Because, let me tell you, there are some really good ones out there, and I don't want them to ever say "Mom, why were our Halloween costumes so lame?" Just another parental challenge.
As sometimes inexplicably happens, I didn't capture very many photos from of our weekend-long Halloween festivities, but here's a sampling from today...
My attempt to take a festive shot but they wanted no part of it... although, the baby gate in the front door wasn't the best backdrop anyway...
No comments:
Post a Comment